Living a Self-Directed Life: 6 Central Themes
We invite you to take a few moments to gather your personal thoughts about the six topics below. These are central themes in living a self-directed life. Your TMG IRIS Consultant will work to understand your priorities about these topics when you spend time together building your initial IRIS plan and throughout your relationship.
- Who are the important people in your life both within and outside of your family?
- Who do you enjoy being with?
- What is your number one goal for your important relationships?
- Would you like to spend more time visiting with friends and family?
- Would you like to find new people to visit with?
- Are you interested in finding a romantic relationship or do you already have one?
Working and Volunteering
- How do you spend your day?
- Do you want to find a job, start your own business or start volunteering?
- If you are working or volunteering now, are you happy with your current job?
- What kinds of things are you interested in doing?
Being a Part of Your Community
- What kinds of things do you enjoy in your community?
- Are you involved with any groups?
- How often do you get together with people or groups?
- In what other ways do you contribute to your community?
- How do you want to be involved in your community?
- Is there anything you always wished you had more time to do in your community or you thought looked interesting, “if only…?”
Having Your Own Place
- What is your most important goal regarding living in your own place?
- Did you choose whom you live with?
- Who decides who comes in and out of your home?
- Who decides about when and what you eat?
- Do you want to live somewhere else?
- If you could change something about where you live, what would it be?
- What are things about where you live that you want to stay the same?
- How do you get around when you need to go places?
- Can you go out when you want to?
- Can you go places at night or on the weekends?
- How do you schedule your transportation?
- What is your most important transportation goal?
Health and Safety
- What is your most important health and safety goal?
- Do you have a primary care doctor you like or need help to find one?
- Do you need help getting to the doctor regularly or help with medication?
- Are you worried about your safety in your home or community?
- Are you concerned about money issues?
- Do you have concerns or needs specific to your disability?