The below sample job description and ad were created by TMG IRIS Consultant Erica Andres, who also employs participant-hired workers for herself. Feel free to use these samples to create your own. Good luck with your caregiver search!
Sample Job Description
Job Summary: Help me live my best life by making sure that I am well taken care of in my home and community.
Reports To: You will report solely to me. I hire through an entirely self-directed state program, so I am in charge of management, scheduling, and any other part of the employment process.
- Must be able to physically lift, bend, stretch and pull a person.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive.
- Must be able to pass a criminal and caregiver background check.
- Must be respectful and eager to learn about my specific disability and needs.
- Must respect my autonomy, independence, and dignity.
- Must be able to safely and successfully perform job-related functions.
- Must be able to listen and follow directions.
- Once trained, must be a self-starter who can find and complete projects with little direction.
- Help me complete all activities of daily living, including:
- Transfers to and from bed; wheelchair; toilet; shower chair; recliner
- Medication administration
- Repositioning in wheelchair and bed
- Assistance with feeding/eating, including monitoring for choking
- Hygiene tasks, including toothbrushing, face washing, hair care and make-up
- Attending doctor appointments
- Assist with all breathing treatments, including cough assist machine, nebulizer, inhaler, trilogy and percussor
- Help with mobility in the home by placing my arm on/off wheelchair controller
- Complete all instrumental activities of daily living, including:
- Meal prep and cooking
- Attend community activities
- Run errands, including grocery shopping, personal needs shopping, pharmacy, gas station, etc.
- Make bed and change bed linens
- Clean/maintain equipment
- Help with money management as needed, including writing checks, balancing checkbook, reviewing bank statements
- Evacuate in emergency situations
- Drive wheelchair accessible van to appointments, activities and errands
- Overnight care including repositioning, getting water, getting medication, turning on/off fan
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Maintain standard precautions
- Call immediately to discuss injury, illness or recent exposure to someone who is sick to discuss whether or not it is safe to come to work.
- Come to work as scheduled and consistently demonstrate dependability and punctuality
- Create a positive work and home environment with open communication and teamwork
Equipment Used (Will provide extensive training on all of the following:)
- Wheelchair accessible van with ramp and tie-downs
- Cough assist machine
- Trilogy machine (Overnight breathing aid)
- Power wheelchair
Full-Time Caregiver Needed!
Get paid to go shopping, go to the movies, go out to dinner, and more! I am a 40-year-old woman with Muscular Dystrophy. I love to be active and do fun things, and I need caregivers to help me do that! I currently need someone to work on Tuesdays from 7 am until Wednesday at 4 pm, and Friday from 9 am – 4 pm. Besides having fun, you would also need to help me with bathing, dressing, toileting, transferring, cleaning, cooking, driving, etc. You must be reliable, able to lift and drive, as I do not live on a bus line and my work requires that you drive me from place to place in my wheelchair-accessible van. I use an agency, so you must pass a background check. I can teach you everything else. Get valuable experience and have fun! I look forward to hearing from you!